Saturday, July 3, 2010

Let Freedom Ring

I believe in the process of teaching patriotism...of children being taught to honor America.





School days in my classroom begin with a first grader leading the United States and Oklahoma pledges, then choosing a patriotic song for us to sing.

It's one of my favorite times of the school day. For a few moments, we're all on the same page. Eyes are glued on the flag. Twenty some odd right hands over hearts. Left hands behind backs. All our feet "in cement". No wiggling or twirling or swaying.

I've taught them the songs I love the most.

These are some of the songs we especially love in my room:

Star Spangled Banner
My Country Tis Of Thee
If I Had a Hammer
Grand Ol' Flag
God Bless America
This Land Is Your Land
We Celebrate America

My favorite is almost always My Country Tis of Thee, mostly because of childhood memories of that song at school. But a close second would be This Land is Your Land...oh, and "The Hammer Song" as the kids call it...ahhhh...let me be honest...I often call something my "favorite" when it could be my favorite for that day or even that moment. 

Do me a favor. Name your favorite patriotic song.



Oh! And Happy Independence Day, Friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave a comment. I read every single one.