Monday, June 20, 2011

The Well Bucket

I don't know much about wells. But I do know about stories and junk and family and how they can connect you to something ordinary like a well bucket. And then it becomes a treasure.

This is a letter written to Vaughn's Grandmother Romberg by Parker, way back when. I bet he was in third grade because it appears that he was working so hard at his cursive. He quit writing soon after that and only prints to this day, unless forced, of course.


In case you can't read it, it says:

Dear Grandmother, 
I just wanted to write you a letter. Thanks for the well bucket. I really like it. It won't ever go in the garage sale, because it's going to be passed down from generation to generation. I'm going to say it was from my great grandma.


And they're going to want to know one of the gazillion neat stories you told us. I'll tell them that every time I walked into your house I could see a pie, cookies or cake. I think your stories were better than anything I ever heard. Love, Parker Johnson

Priceless. The memories, the well bucket, the letter kept by Grandmother and then passed down to Vaughn's mom, who gave it back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave a comment. I read every single one.